- steel drum
- nouna concave percussion instrument made from the metal top of an oil drum; has an array of flattened areas that produce different tones when struck (of Caribbean origin)• Hypernyms: ↑percussion instrument, ↑percussive instrument
* * *noun: a musical instrument made by hammering raised and tuned portions on the bottom of an oil drum
* * *Music. a bowl-shaped percussion instrument common in the West Indies, made from a steel barrel divided into sections producing different notes when struck.[1950-55]
* * *steel drum nounA percussion instrument usu made from the top of an oil drum, hammered out into a bowl-like shape and faceted so as to produce different notes (also called steel pan)• • •Main Entry: ↑steel
* * *a West Indian drum made of a large empty metal containerThesaurus: musical instrumentshyponym types of musical instrumentshypernym
* * *steel drum «steel druhm», noun.a musical percussion instrument, made of metal and played with mallets producing bell-like tones, originated in Trinidad; pan; steel pan.
* * *n. a percussion instrument originating in Trinidad, made out of an oil drum with one end beaten down and divided by grooves into sections to give different notes. Also called pan (esp. by players)
* * *noun, pl ⋯ drums [count]: a metal drum shaped like a bowl or barrel that makes different sounds when it is hit at different places
* * *a musical instrument used in West Indian music, made from a metal oil container which is hit in different places with two sticks to produce different notes
Useful english dictionary. 2012.